Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

The Nexus between Moa Tse Tung and Willam Penn...

Though I try to not buy things made by labour which is not paid well for their work, my watch IS, I am afraid, Chinese made, but it comes to me in a very Quakerly way.

I dislike wearing watches, and modern watches which tend to beep, bleat, honk or buzz, even during meetings for worship, can, should I allow them, make me nutz.

I have used old pocket watches, but their upkeep is pricey.Well, one day, a super right wing pal of mine, from Texas, (who shouts at me about politics so loud on the street, in spite of my patient quiet smile at him -- that on several occasions the police were summoned)! Welllll back to the narrative, Kim, had a friend who went to China and brought him back a Mao pocket watch. He tried to wear it, but as Fox said to Penn in the Quaker myth on the subject of swords, just could not wear it in comfort.

So one day he took it out of his pocket and shook his head. "Aw, hell, I guess I just have to give this to you," he said. It has been running for years without loss of a minute of time. I never open the watch without thinking of Penn and his sword.

1 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Come to think of it, I would rather be a duck. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home