Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Monday, June 27, 2005

Common Sense

This was posted to Mudcat, a folk music web site. In light of the Sup. Cts. take on immanent domain, well it is all self evident.

Annon: 1764

They hang the man and flog the woman
That steal the goose from off the common,
But let the greater villain loose
That steals the common from the goose.

The law demands that we atone
When we take things we do not own
But leaves the lords and ladies fine
Who take things that are yours and mine.

The poor and wretched don't escape
If they conspire the law to break;
This must be so but they endure
Those who conspire to make the law.

The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common
'And geese will still a common lack
Till they go and steal it back

4 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Blogger Lorcan said...

I realize I should mention the Sup Ct decided that New London could take private homes away from folks and give the property to large private interests to build malls. This is a complete change in attitude in American Law towards property rights. In the past, public interest in Immanent Domanin had to be public, so you could not, until now, in theory, take from the poor to give to the rich, outright. You now can.

lor

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lorcan

I read about your blog on another Quaker blog, someone who you were in a band with. Do you play at other churches than Quaker churches? What is your music like and what would you say Quaker music is?

Yours,

Sam Hoffmann

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Lorcan said...

Hi Sam:

If you go to my complete profile, click on that, and there is an email address... email me about playing anywhere ... I do and I don't...

lor

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Lorcan said...

Sam, thanks for the kind words in your emails... I will likely write a post about Quaker music when I have a mo... I am running out...

thanks again
lor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home