Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Is there a doctor in the house?

Well... my doctor never figured out what or why... but I am getting better and better at tolerating plaque in my throat... which is not a good thing. The cycles are getting longer as a result... a bad result on my singing... I have transcended the gagging a choking stage, the point that I can usually cough up the plaque, and have discovered the choking gagging and sharp hot pain stage. Hmmm... maybe I should feel a tinge of pride of discovery.

What IS nice is that I have found that physical pain without emotional pain is a piece of cake to deal with... well, apple cobbler with ice cream. I took Genie out to a micro restaurant with a huge reputation on 9th Street ... "the 9th street market" very posh. She has a deposition this morning, so I thought it would be nice to get all cooled out and shark-like. We had pecan glazed Catfish, I had the braised scallops for starters, and Genie had sweet potato thingees... and a delightful chardonnay from Longuedoc - a place Genie and I dearly love. By the way... if you are looking for a fine ( and expensive ) restaurant... good choice. Diet tomorrow...

Any one know a prayer for plaque? (Not that I think prayers of intercession make much sense... )

3 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger Dyske said...

"What IS nice is that I have found that physical pain without emotional pain is a piece of cake to deal with..."

Junkies and alcoholics have known this for centuries, alleviating emotional pain by abusing their bodies. As we get older, however, it becomes harder to achieve this, since our bodies can't handle so much abuse. So, the next trick is denial. You can teach yourself to deny everything like nothing ever happened. Unfortunately this has certain side effects. Your own ego no longer makes sense. It falls apart structurally, because you begin to have too many missing parts. Without having a functioning ego, it's hard to function in a society. So, your life starts to fall apart too.

Human beings are so precarious.

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Lorcan said...

I suppose it is also the key to old age. You get resolved to the fact that you can't hold onto your voice, your ability to do simple things... and then letting go off all seems ok... you become divorced from the phisical and ready to go...

cheers
lor

PS Of course, in the US, with the health care crises... sometimes the getting resolved to saying good bye to certain parts of your phiscal being comes a little early! :)

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Lorcan said...

that should read letting go OF all... one too many f's sorry... lor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home