Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Friday, December 29, 2006

God is not my Security Blanket nor my Buddy

Oh Friends. There is such a temptation to join the club ... to pretend that God loves thee as an individual, and that God has some kind of kind faced kid to hold thy hand... I don't think it is that easy. God loves, as we all love, in that God is in that which is that in us that loves, but some external father who will help when the world turns against thee ... if thee accepts that Yeshua was Jesus ... well, in order for me to believe that, I would have, not only to turn off that brain that God gave me, ignore the history of my mother's people, but allow myself to knowingly lie to myself, and frankly, I don't think that would cure what ails me.
Folks who should have been dear to me, my immediate family, have lied to me about love from the earliest of my memories, I have no close friends who have not betrayed my trust and friendship ... and so, I don't think that placing my faith in a mythical idol, the objectification of a remarkable rabbi, will replace that love that I deserved, as we all deserve. Not having had that love does not make me turn against God, because I don't kid myself to believe that myth is truth, rather myth describes truth, and pretty poorly at that.
So, I bear the pain of loneliness as long as I can ... muddle through, and that is that. I try to find joy in spite of the consciousness of pain and though I have lost hope, I don't loose faith.

5 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Hey, who knows...maybe God has a poster of you up in his room!?

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Rich in Brooklyn said...

I could have sworn God loves you (if it weren't for the testimony against swearing recommended to me by Yeshua, of course).

Well, anyway, many many others are at least very fond of you. I include myself. ;)

Hope the New Year is a better year.

- - Rich A-E

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Plain Foolish said...

I too hope the New Year is an improvement. Even if all you see of me are points of light on a screen, I too like you, and hope things start to improve.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger ef said...

Hey Lor

I tried to respond before, but my computer went wonky.

I totally know where thee is coming from about God - and not just from a depression sort of place, but just not believing in that sort.

In any case, I'm a pantheist of sorts. so if people love you, they're part of God, and that means God loves you.

But then God's not this big thing that can make you're life all good with a wave of his hand, so iin some ways it's not much of a bargain.

Still, to be loved is pretty good. And you are.

love
Pam

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger David said...

When we give ourselves the time and heart to grieve the absence of the love that we felt should have been there for us, there is a hint of the amazing graces that God meant for each of us.

If that makes any sense, great. Otherwise...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home