Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Jerry Ragni?

Jerry Ragni... I used to sit with him, have breakfast on west 4th street when I was in college, the second time, and I thought I was getting on in my 30s. He seemed a little forgotten by the world... he had written Hair... more he had written this really wonderful song, that haunts me these days...

How can people be so heartless, how can people be so cruel?
easy to be hard easy to be cold.
Especially people who care about strangers,
who say they care about social injustice...
do you only care about the bleeding crowd?
how about a needing friend... I need a friend.

Ah Jerry, I hope you are surrounded by friends out there... if anyone one is in touch with him tell him hi from me,

lor

2 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was friends with Jerry; he was a terrific guy! We both worked out at Sheridan Square Gym, in the West Village. I have WONDERFUL memories of Jerry! He died in '91. Thank you Jerry, for being the incredible person you are!

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i knew jerry for a couple weeks when he came to Oregon with a guy in my drama department. i recognized him from having seen him in HAIR in LA. he talked alot about Edward Albee, and how HAIR was his and jim's baby. he scrbbled a song for me on a piece of paper in the student union. he was really nice and a good listener. and he had these stupid american flag pants. i'll be taking my daughter to see the touring company of HAIR. i'll be remembering jerry the whold time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home