Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Monday, May 09, 2005

These Damned Genes...

Tell me why, good Heav'n,
Thou mad'st me what I am, with all the Spirit,
Aspireing thoughts and Elegant desires
That fill the happiest Man? Ah! rather why
Didst thou not form me sordid as my Fate,
Base minded dull and fit to carry Burdens?
Why have I sence to know the Curse that's on me?
Is this just dealing, Nature?

(I, 308-314)
Venice Preserv'd
Thomas Otway
1682

2 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Larry Clayton said...

It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger Lorcan said...

Charlie Reese (http://www.lewrockwell.com/reese/reese93.html ) a political journalist writes:

"It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."

Those brave words were written in Edinburgh Hospital by the poet W.E. Henley. Henley was wrong, of course. No human is master of his or her fate or captain of his or her soul. Henley was a cripple for most of his life, and when his 5-year-old daughter died, it broke his heart and his spirit. He died at age 54.

I used to have to copy out Invictus, the poem from whence this comes, when being punished for organizing a high school branch of S.D. S. back in the dusty distant past... hmm....

I appreciate the thought... the fact is that I have ( I hope temporarily ) lost my thanks to God for my life. My path is dark from pole to pole, and I find my soul completely was conquerable by several who turn from me without the process of clearness which we Friends have needed so much in the past, and through which I have helped others. Without clearness, it takes longer... but, I hope it is not impossible to find my center again.

By the way, I wont tell you who else quoted that poem ( he said with a loving laugh dear Larry)

love and hope

lor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home