Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Hey Folks... a little help here... how do you live in 21st Century USA?

Let's see. I find myself jealous of Nathan and Anna. They don't even know Filberto ever lived. If a Filberto falls in the woods, and no one knows... I don't know. I just don't know... Better to be blind, away, what, I just don't bloody know. I don't even know who to ask these days. I'll be out cold before Genie gets home. Four walls, a TV... a clock, no radio... a phone, no one to call, hmmm call the FBI, ask them... naw... think not... I'll look inside, deeper, and deeper and deeper... and soon I am looking up from the bottom of the well and I find there is no one here to say... more cartoons to come soon, almost done, more laughs, good laughs... happy laughs, I think sometimes I get as sick at laughing as crying... I just want to go ... some place nice.

5 Comments:

At 6:56 AM, Blogger twila said...

Lorcan ~ I am still at a loss for words. I don't know how to comfort you. I don't know how to bring about change. I don't know who to trust, if anyone, in governments of nations. I have absolutely no answers.

But I have this: my heart is with you in your suffering. I pray for resolution and peace for you, for those being victimized by the country I live in. I ask for answers but I don't know if I will get them. I ask for solutions but I don't know if they will come.

I'm sorry I don't have much to give you right now, Lorcan. But I do care. My thoughts and prayers are with you, friend. May you find an oasis, a sanctuary of rest, a place (some nice place) you can go to and be refreshed and strengthened to live and to live well. To come back from with a warm heart and a cool mind. So as to better serve and love those whose suffering has touched you so deeply.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger ash said...

I am coming to the USA at some point next year. I dunno when. But I'm gonna try my arse off to get to New York and see you. Perhaps, after I have been and lived among the US people, I can begin to see some hope. From over the pond here it is hard to see.

I know a few good people. Spread out. I wanna go visit you all.

Maybe we can unite and form some kind of revolution. I may not be able to vote, but I can insight revolution, oh yes.

Viva les Revolutiones (Marxista) Internationale!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Lorcan said...

Dear Twlya and Ash...
Your words are a salve in these times...
Ash... my dear old friend Bertel Olman, one of the last marxist professors at NYU would always say that he was a "reformer, not a revolutionary..." a distinction which makes it more embarassing for the FBI when they shoot you... :)
So, incite reform, so that they don't say really bad things about you when the FBI removes you or I from polite society.

It will be great to show you about the place.
Cheers
lor
PS May be in England this winter... researching a book, I hope...

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Lorcan said...

you or me... I mean... me da would cuff me in the head for that...

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger ash said...

Ah, yes, I can see how that might work out better for all... "reform" does sound somewhat better.

Now I'll have to go get some new badges printed I guess...

I've posted up a wee poem today over on my corner... It's all come out a bit quick compared to how I prefer to work, but we'll see how it goes...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home