Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Minstrel Boy in the land of the free and the home of the brave...

The minstrel fell, but the foe man's chains could ne'er drag his proud soul under
the harp he loved ne'er spoke again, for he tore her proud cords asunder
saying no man's hand shall sully thee, thou soul of love and bravery
thy cords were meant for the pure and free, they shall never sound in slavery.

But what of the minstrel who is left behind, to walk among the silent martyr's graves
To spend long nights thinking of the many friends in forgotten prison cells
to count the number of friends among the missing, the lost, the disappeared
The voice of such a minstrel becomes a melancholy, mechanical thing without a soul
a song lost in a land of slavery.

I walked out in the middle of a song last night, never did that before
but the sound in my throat was not my voice
thy cords were meant for the pure and free
they shall never sound in slavery.

3 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Rosemary said...

Did you write those last two verses? I love that song, own several versions, and have never heard them before . . .

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Lorcan said...

Hi Sarah:
Didn't write them as verses, actually, good idea, I might, it is just what the past few months have been, friends jailed by the Bush administration, now assasinated... walked out in the middle of a song tuesday night... never did that before, I just couldn't sing anymore.
cheers
lor

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Rosemary said...

Oh my. It's funny, looking them over now, I can recognize they're not actually verses, but when I was humming the tune along with them, not thinking, it worked perfectly . . .

I hope you can sing again soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home