Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Definition of Immutable... and loss of self.

I've worked in civil rights law, a long time, and have testified in court on the immutable nature of certain kinds of identity. A fFriend used the word melodrama to describe my feelings of late about my alienation from various Friends, and in that I have come to understand, inside the sense, the feeling of an immutable element of being.

I was raised a Quaker. I did not choose to become a Quaker, and do not know if I would have found it otherwise, as it is how my mind was formed. It was ... is, a part of me like an arm, a leg, no more like a heart, a mind, a part of me I can't lose. A conflict this past year began the process of my feeling that the safe haven of that identity was at risk. Now, the question of acting for God, or with God... worship of God or idols, this part of my identity as a christian Friend, and the seemingly sometimes anti Semitic reaction by another, has cut close to that sense of self, that safe haven that is that part of me that is Quaker. I can't describe the sense of loss. I ask Friends to try to understand that it just is.

2 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Blogger Larry Clayton said...

Lor, you are okay!!! You don't need to worry about what you see as hostility or depreciation. There are plenty of sick and needy people around who need to project their anger on to someone. Don't let that bother you. Just pray for them.

I pray for you, dear friend.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Lorcan said...

Ah dear Larry,
I can't describe for thee the sense of loss, not that there are Friends who would exclude - or make anti Semitic comments, but that they would then write off other Friends... and more that this way of being grows - other Friends join in the exclusion and hatred. Frankly, the peace we make grows and the conflict we make grows. And the hypocrisy of one who forms an organization which boasts itself non-violent, and then refuses to come to clearness with another Friend, well... Thee and I discussed as loving Friends things which about we disagree ... and love each other better for it. However, Friends who are in love with the ego of their prideful hatreds, make me very sad indeed... deeply hurt and sad. My only safe haven in an often hostile world seems broken. This kind of violence is part of the end of this world we are so wasting, every bit as much as the waging of war and the destruction of the gifts of bounty God provided us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home