Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

The End of the Beginning of the End

Well another folk venue bites the dust, well bites. A certain open mike at which I have sung, with a few friends at times... well now they charge to get on stage. That is it. You know, I will play for free, but to be asked to pay to play, not me. It is the end of seeing musicians in New York go from workers to treasured guests, to tolerated, to now, well, used.

So, here we are again... we old folkies... me old folkie? One more place to be drops off the face of the earth. Fewer to no folks to share small happiness or big disappointments, health or illness. Life in New York at 50 in this cold assed century.
Cheersm'dears.

4 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger ash said...

you know...

I had to pop out earlier to buy some stuff for Fajitahs... needed some Jalepeno, some extra spices, some chicken.

Didn't much fancy walking down the road to the shop in this bloody blistering clod. I tell ye, I've not seen many days colder than this in my 18 years of england. (which may explain the extra red jalepenos, chilli powder and tabasco i added to my usual mixture..)

anyhow...how do you think I'm gonna be able to manage this journey, even if it is in aid of nice hot mexican food?

you're right! I ran and got me wee CD player i bought the other day for a moderate fee, and grabbed "The Best of Lorcan Otway Is Yet To Come..."

So instead of being weary at the winter chill, I'm walking down the road with a spring in me step and a warmth in me heart...

"oh how the karibu ran..." *whistles off down the road*

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger ash said...

well that's "bloody blistering cold" there not clod...

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Larry Clayton said...

50? My God! You've hardly started to live man. (The next 30 were much better for me.) Your friend, ash, had it right: ""The Best of Lorcan Otway Is Yet To Come..."

You better believe it, man. God has his hand on you and will do things to (for) you that you never dreamed of.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Lorcan said...

dmsMy dear Larry,
" the Best of etc... " is the name of ny fourth CD. The one before that was called "A little help from my friends - the solo album..." I was going to call it "Bitter angry Quakers" and have the Quaker Oats guy in a red circle and slash, but I found Friends aren't to good about ironic humor, and I kept getting quizzical or hurt looks from Friends... Amanda named number 5, so, no problems there...
:)
Thy Friend... feeling nothing but contentment - and very little of that! (Ok... I can't help the ironic humor...)
thyne in the light
lor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home