Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

A visit from Padraig Pearce

Today at dinner I recalled another old man's funeral, the old Feinian, O'Donavan Rosa, and I clearly heard a young poet, soon to be murdered by Britain standing by his grave saying... "and I tell my people's masters, beware this thing that is coming, beware the risen people who shall take what ye would not give..."

The murderers of Filberto Ojeda Rios should remember that all tyrannies fall of their own weight, and no, freedom is not forever. When we were warned the price of liberty is constant vigilance, the speaker did not mean keep checking under the bed for Communists, Muslims, Fellow travelers, but watch your government. You cannot buy freedom at the cost of liberty. You who pulled the trigger remember the man who drove the nails, Rome found out that the martyred spirit does not lie easy in the grave. That wind off the ocean is no mere hurricane, it is the reemergence of the spirit of freedom.

3 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ok Lorcan,
I'm going to guess that sar san, shaya: and baxt hai sastimos, develssa
are both in Irish, since you said it was not Gaelic

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Or maybe they are both Latin, but I doubt it.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger twila said...

Lorcan, I'm reminded of something Gandhi said, "When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have always been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall --- think of it, ALWAYS."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home