Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Blogging

"You blog too much," a Friend said. Well, what do we wish from life? Honesty, truth, an open heart and a loving soul... or to have lots of friends? For me, I would not trade the first four for the last, though I can't say that it does not hurt when fFriends turn from me. I can print sheafojockie ( nonsense) and be really well liked. I knew a lot of folks in law school like that, gone to Harvard, born into the right family... say nothing to offend anyone, hang out in the right circles. My soul is too high a price for that model of success.
In this blog I have been honest, truthful and shared light and pain and sorrows for which I don't have words... and it has cost me. Some fFriends have cut me off from their love and interaction. I can't say that I am angered by this, but I can say I don't understand this as Christian or Quaker. These fFriends know me, only by these words, and so the assumptions must be rather profound, the idea that one can know another by words alone, what a strange way to believe one to be present.
So... do I blog too much? For some maybe, for me... well... perhaps some who judge me, might use this as a mirror to their own soul.

2 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Too much, too little, enough?

Who gets to define the words? If it's me, I admit that I'm grateful for the words you do post, and extemely happy that I found the courage to write to you. Though all you have seen of me are my words and one of my pieces, and all I have seen of you are your words and recordings of your music, yet I am glad to have met your electronic self.

If (as I think) the person who gets to define enough for you is well... you, then only you can say where too little, too much, and just enough are. (Oh, bother, here come those bears and that blond kid again...)

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Ah, Paula, you so speak to where I'm at just now. I'm really trying hard to not let loose the "mean" me, the one who wants to be very fierce in the defense of my friends and of me.

And to put my last comment more succinctly - who asked for this guy's opinion? Yeesh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home