Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Monday, May 30, 2005

30 years ago in Belfast

Dear British Soldier
How old was I, 19, 20?
How old were you? The same?
Your rifle was leveled at my chest...
I remember your stance, your form,
do I remember your face?
Or, am I filling in over the years...?
I well remember my fear,
the feeling that my legs evaporated...
the feeling of knowing how a small hole in my chest
would be nothing to the large hole in my back...
I remember being to frightened to do my job, to photograph you...
But, if you had but tightened your finger on the trigger...
and the lead traveled through me faster than sound...
faster than pain...
faster... as fast as shock...
would I have felt the fear drain away and be replaced by...
the sublime moment of fulfillment of all I meant?
Would I have known that all I expected I had lost...
was nothing... was waste of life... of pain of solitude?
To die young for a meaning rather than live longer than ?
Use? Love? Need?
Oh, dear soldier... I remember the opening at the end of your rifle...
I remember the cold wet air...
I remember and wonder why... if... and why not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home