Plain in the city

A plain Quaker folk singer with a Juris Doctorate in his back pocket, salt in his blood, and a set of currach oars in the closet, Ulleann Pipes under his arm, guitar on his back, Anglo Irish baggage, wandering through New York City ... in constant amaze. Statement of Faithfulness. As a member of the Quaker Bloggers Ad Hoc Committee I affirm that I will be faithful to the Book of Discipline of my Meeting 15th Street Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Idiot's guide to Christianity

OK, here it is, the cheat sheet, the idiot's guide to salvation in Christ... love, forgive, be honest and joyful... fail at one of these, and the whole thing goes pear shaped... I admit it, honestly, with forgiveness and love, I admit it, I am not joyful, this is not a life for which I can yet bring myself thank God ... and that is a sin, a grave sin for which I pray for grace... but I can't bear the weight, in our meeting I see Friends who can't forgive, I see those who can't be honest, I see others who can't love... it is a package... and many of us just can't do it... and the whole thing goes bockity.


Funny enough, I know a few, a damn few, who admit to their own damnation, and what a relief to find at least honesty. In such honesty, there is hope, I think, I hope, I pray....


Look, it all boils down to fear... as Hicks said, quoting a rather good book, that fear is the greatest barrier to perfect love, and after all, that perfect love IS God, and fear of honesty, fear of forgiveness, fear of love... oh well... what can I say.

Anger, fear, ... just come home... home to each other... smile, forgive, be nice... and me?

Damned if I know... the profound pain of living, is such a wieght, all I can say is I still have faith, and little else, pain and faith is all I know I really have been granted in this life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home